Please accept my simple gift to you: Chocolate Turtle Cookies!!
- 1 c. flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar1 large egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, chopped fine
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in bowl.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined.
- Refrigerate dough until firm, at least 1 hour (I was impatient so I put my dough in the freezer and it only took about 40 minutes).
- Whisk egg white(s) in another bowl until frothy. Place pecans in another bowl. One at a time, roll dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, then roll in pecans.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using teaspoon measure, make indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake until set, 10 to12 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
- Meanwhile, microwave caramels and cream in bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once cookies are removed from oven, gently press existing indentations with teaspoon measure. Fill each with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon caramel mixture.
- Cool 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely
Milla: The Night Baker