Donate Here.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Meet Our Mascot: Sarah (aka: "I'm Gonna Be OK!")

Meet Our Mascot: Sarah

Today is my one month anniversary at Center for Change. I’m so grateful I’m here. It’s really hard (I’ve said that a billion times, but it’s worth repeating: RECOVERY IS HARD), but I’m making progress, I feel my mind changing and I know that I’m one of the lucky ones just to be here. In honor of my one month anniversary, I’d like to tell you a little bit about our Mascot, my little (younger) sister Sarah.

One day shortly after arriving at the Center for Change I was walking into a meal. I started “fake” running, shaking my arms and saying, “I’M GONNA BE OK!!” I laughed to myself, and then realized no one else knew why that was funny. So I told them this story, and luckily Sarah was kind enough to let me share it with all of you.

Sarah had a bone graft on her shoulder a while ago. I’ve never had a bone graft, but basically they cut through your skin and muscle, shave down your bone and put in bone from a donor. That’s my scientific explanation.

Anyway, a bone graft hurts like crazy. It was hard to watch her the week after her surgery because she was in so much pain. She’s a tough girl and not one to complain, so seeing her struggling was very hard.
The pain killers she was on had some crazy side effects. She’s had surgery on her shoulder before, and we always knew she was sensitive to medications, but this was a whole new level of pain for her, and a whole new level of pain killers.

One day I came home to find her running up and down our back yard, waving her arms and saying,        
“I’M GONNA BE OK!!!”
Naturally I thought something horrible was happening to my poor sister’s brain, so I ran to find my mom. My mom laughed and said that Sarah’s pain killers meshed with some anxiety, making her feel very overwhelmed and a little loopy. She couldn’t relax; she was exhausted and frustrated, so Mom in all her wisdom suggested she go out in the yard and burn some energy so she could rest.

WISDOM.
Always, ALWAYS listen to your momma.
           
By the time I finished telling the story, my friends here had fallen in love with my sister. We all agreed that her technique for managing stress was genius. It has become the war cry whenever any of us confront something difficult. A meal, a rough therapy session, family groups, an outing, general anxiety:
Sarah Mascot "I'm gonna be OK!"
“I’M GONNA BE OK!!!”
And we are. We are gonna be ok.

Sarah is my personal hero/mascot for another reason. She’s always been an intuitive eater, never had an eating disorder, has great body confidence and acceptance. She can down Wingdome #7’s like they’re Cheerios. She has a relationship with food that I envy and admire, and even though she’s my little sister, I look up to her so much.

And not just because she’s 5’10.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is one of the cutest stories ever. Thanks for sharing it. Keep getting better.....

    ReplyDelete