Donate Here.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Yo.

I bake at night.

A year ago I moved home to Seattle to receive treatment for anorexia nervosa after struggling with it for almost 18 years. Ironically I've found that baking is very therapeutic for me. It helps me see food in a positive light, it brings me joy to see people enjoying something I made, it's a way for me to show love, it helps me feel purposeful, it keeps my mind occupied. I enjoy challenging myself with new techniques and trying new recipes. Food feels less scary when it's home made with love.

Not many people know that treatment for eating disorders is very expensive. Not sometimes. ALWAYS. I'm talking like hundreds of dollars a day, minimum. A large part of the reason I don't want to get treatment is because I feel a tremendous about of guilt about the cost. I don't want to burden my family, but I can't work right now. Friends have mentioned they would pay for some of the things I make, so I had this idea: selling baked goods online for whatever you think is fair. A donation towards treatment, an excuse for me to bake, (hopefully) re-discovering the joy of food!

3 comments:

  1. This gave me chills and made me tear up. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your bakery's name? or how can i order??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me so much of me. I am 20 years old and have been battling anorexia and bulimia for 9 years, I always loved cooking and baking growing up, my dad is an amazing cook and I was constantly around him. These last 2 years or so I grew this huge love for baking and I bake things for my family every day.

    and when you said:

    "Ironically I've found that baking is very therapeutic for me. It helps me see food in a positive light, it brings me joy to see people enjoying something I made, it's a way for me to show love, it helps me feel purposeful, it keeps my mind occupied. I enjoy challenging myself with new techniques and trying new recipes. Food feels less scary when it's home made with love."

    You took everything I felt but couldn't put into words myself.

    Anyways, You are obviously a very talented baker, and such a beautiful women and I wish you nothing but the best!

    ReplyDelete